Syndal Baptist Church
- Opportunity to shape your own role in a vibrant community
- Exciting possibilities for growth
- Suits a friendly, engaging and encouraging person
- Dynamic team environment
- Share God’s love to the wider community though the café
- Ability to make a great coffee (barista experience) and hold a minimum Food Safety Certificate II
Staff Position Description
Café Supervisor – part time (17 hrs per week negotiable)
To manage and develop the ministry of Cafe Salt Syndal whose vision is to be
• a ‘front door’ to the Church
• a meeting place or hub where conversations and friendships thrive
• a space where ministries can experiment
• in time to develop a catering arm for functions
Director of Operations and Finance
Cafe Worker (paid) and volunteers
Key working relationships:
Director of Operations and finance
Accountabilities, Responsibilities & Duties:
1. Customer Service
• Be the pace setter in welcoming and connecting with both SBC and wider community like Jesus would
• Create a warm and inviting environment with great customer service, welcoming new & returning customer and building rapport with them and answering questions about wider church ministries.
• Responsible for the quality of food and service at the café including seeking ongoing feedback from customers, conducting reviews and implementing continuous improvement.
• Inspire, motivate, encourage and develop and roster Café volunteers.
• Developing teams, systems and processes for all aspects of café.
• Preparing shift rosters for Café volunteers and staff.
• Determining the menu and pricing for food and beverages
• Developing and implementing café policies and procedures in compliance to legal and local council requirements.
• Setting and maintaining standards for café staff and volunteers in all areas including customer service, coffee making, and consistency of quality of food.
• Liaising with suppliers and maintaining inventory including ordering
supplies required for café.
• Responsible for keeping café area clean, neat and orderly.
• Making Coffee and serving customers when necessary
• Pre-preparing food for service, heating and serving food when necessary
3. Financial Management (in conjunction with the Director of Operations and Finance)
• Establishing and monitor the Café budget for wages, supplies, equipment and other expenses.
• Responsible for financial monthly review process, including profit and loss, cost control, expenses against income, expenses review.
• Managing, mobilizing and motivating the café team including recruitment and performance feedback (as appropriate).
• Proving ongoing training all Cafe staff (paid and unpaid).
• Determining the marketing and advertising plan for the café.
• Conducting timely review of marketing plan and its effectiveness.
• Authorising expenditure for purchase of food
• Ordering of food items for Cafe
Terms and Conditions:
• Part time - initially equivalent to 17 hours a week, with flexibility of increasing hours as café business grows.
• Remuneration approx. $28.00 / hour plus superannuation subject to schedule.
• 4 weeks annual leave in January.
• 2 weeks personal leave annually cumulative, but not paid out on termination.
• An initial three-month review in addition to a regular annual review and continuation in the role is contingent upon a satisfactory review
• The Cafe Manager is accountable to the Director of Operations & Finance